I’m celebrating Black History with my grandmother, Helen and Lemon Meringue Pies!
My grandmother was known for her Lemon Meringue and Sweet Potato Pies. Pies, to this day my mother pretends to properly make LOL. ‘Black History’ doesn’t have to be about a subject or person you never met, but could be a relative or even yourself! So, how I wish to take time today to reflect and offer gratitude is to focus on Lemon Meringue Pies because they make me think of my grandmother and SHE is my history!
Grandma’s Lemon Meringue Pie
1 cup sugar
2 tablespoons flour
3 tablespoon conrstarch
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups water
2 lemons, juiced and zested
2 tablespoons butter
4 egg yolks, beaten
1 (9 inch) pie crust, baked
4 egg whites
6 tablespoons sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium saucepan, mix together sugar, flour, cornstarch and salt.
- Next stir in water, lemon juice and lemon zest while cooking over medium-high heat until mixture comes to a boil then add butter.
- Whisk egg yolks in bowl, then add half of the hot mixture into the yolks. Slowly combine then add entire yolk mixture back into the original hot mixture in sauce pan to bring to a boil, continuing stirring until thick.
- Once thickened, remove from heat and pour into baked pie crust, allow to set/form
- For the meringue, in a bowl, whip egg whites until foamy.
- Gradually add a little sugar as needed and continue to whip until stiff peaks form.
- Spread meringue over cooled pie
- Bake pie in oven for 10 minuets or until meringue is slightly brown/golden on top.
Offering an updated 2018 guide to (B.O.) Breakfast & Brunch spots throughout Los Angeles, CA.
Adassa’s Breakfast Cafe
4305 Degnan Blvd
– Ste 103
Los Angeles, CA 90008
3105 Washington Blvd., Marina del Rey
3740 S. Crenshaw Blvd,
Los Angeles, CA 90016
Flavor Table, The
2812 W. Florence Ave.
Los Angeles, CA 90043
Jack’s Family Kitchen
3965 S Western Ave
Los Angeles, CA 90062
Offering an updated 2018 guide to (B.O.) Bakeries throughout Los Angeles, CA.
27th Street Bakery
2700 South Central Ave.
Los Angeles, CA. 90011
Big Man Bakes
413 S. Main St. @4th
Los Angeles, CA 90013
Bonnie B Bakery
6344 Topanga canyon Blvd., Suite 1030
Woodland Hills, California
Cobblers Cakes & Kream
2323 W Manchester Blvd.
Inglewood, CA 90305
3854 Crenshaw Blvd
Los Angeles, CA 90008
We all do it, make breakfast at home. Some meals turn out great, while others…complete fail. Sometimes there’s time to cook, other times not. Regardless of your reasoning with seasoning <chuckle>, here’s a Run-down of some Random Rations at my Residence.
Seasoned pasta with spinach and red sauce topped with an egg and sprinkled with pepper and cheddar cheese.
Oatmeal is great for lowering cholesterol. I prefer mine with brown sugar, almond milk and any dried or fresh fruit available. This bowl contains raisins 🙂
Alright, I have another one for ya! The Eagle and I (the boyfriend) took a trip to try out this Pineapple Upside-Down Pancake. These trips aren’t always planned, for sometimes the people call upon us. Who are these people? You know, the people. The people reach out to us when in need of deciding where to eat. It’s what we do…and I enjoy it.
We pull up, seems the lot knew we were in the neighborhood – parking was easy. The Eagle steps out to adjust his sun-glasses. “BEEP” the car locks. “Head towards the green awning”, I yell out. We worked our way to the door, confirming its entrance.
It’s bright and pleasant inside, I smile with approval. The waitress guides us to our seat, seconds for waiting. I suddenly hear chatter, “I think it’s her?” I knew what they’re thinking. The sounds take me back to Jacks n Joe‘s.
I place the order – DISHES CRASH!!!
“She ordered it,” a young girl whispers.
“You think she’ll like it?” another questions.
The Eagle wasn’t so sure so we opted to share yet ordered potatoes and eggs with a biscuit on the side.