I’m celebrating Black History with my grandmother, Helen and Lemon Meringue Pies!
My grandmother was known for her Lemon Meringue and Sweet Potato Pies. Pies, to this day my mother pretends to properly make LOL. ‘Black History’ doesn’t have to be about a subject or person you never met, but could be a relative or even yourself! So, how I wish to take time today to reflect and offer gratitude is to focus on Lemon Meringue Pies because they make me think of my grandmother and SHE is my history!
Grandma’s Lemon Meringue Pie
1 cup sugar
2 tablespoons flour
3 tablespoon conrstarch
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups water
2 lemons, juiced and zested
2 tablespoons butter
4 egg yolks, beaten
1 (9 inch) pie crust, baked
4 egg whites
6 tablespoons sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium saucepan, mix together sugar, flour, cornstarch and salt.
- Next stir in water, lemon juice and lemon zest while cooking over medium-high heat until mixture comes to a boil then add butter.
- Whisk egg yolks in bowl, then add half of the hot mixture into the yolks. Slowly combine then add entire yolk mixture back into the original hot mixture in sauce pan to bring to a boil, continuing stirring until thick.
- Once thickened, remove from heat and pour into baked pie crust, allow to set/form
- For the meringue, in a bowl, whip egg whites until foamy.
- Gradually add a little sugar as needed and continue to whip until stiff peaks form.
- Spread meringue over cooled pie
- Bake pie in oven for 10 minuets or until meringue is slightly brown/golden on top.
B. Smith Lemon Meringue Pie – Martini
1 1/2 ounces citris vodka
1/2 ounce limoncello
1/2 ounce Triple Sec
1/2 ounce simple syrup, or more to taste
Splash of half and half
Lemon twist for garnish
Patti Labelles Citrus Meringue Pie
1 1/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup cornstarch
1 1/2 cups water
4 eggs, separated
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon butter
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Prepare piecrust as needed
- In saucepan, stir in 1 cup sugar and cornstarch.
- Next stir in about 1/2 cup of water to dissolve the cornstarch then add the remaining 1 cup water.
- Constantly stirring, bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Once at a boil, drop heat to medium-low and allow to continue to boil for another minuet.
- Remove from heat and stir in lemon juice, butter and zest.
- Spread the filing into prepared crust and allow to form/cool.
- For meringue, use electric mixture to beat on high speed egg whites until stiff., gradually add 1/3 cup sugar as needed.
- Once filling has cooled/formed, spread meringue along top of pie.